web analytics

[How To] Batch Convert PNG to JPEG Using Photoshop CS2

photoshop_sgsLately I’ve been finding myself manually converting PNG files to JPEGs. It can get quite tedious and frankly, boring. I downloaded a couple of apps that could automate the process, but each of them had their quirks. They would either watermark the finished image or limit me to trying them out for a finite number of days. I had to resort to manually editing them using MS Paint, and then saving them as JPEG files. The quality was bad, all thanks to the disastrous MS Paint. So I set out to find a way to convert them using Photoshop. What I ended up was writing my own Action for Photoshop CS2. I’m just illustrating how you can use Photoshop to convert PNG to JPEG in this how-to, but you could use it to convert any image format (including PSD) to JPEG. I’m going to save them using the “Save for Web” attribute because that’s what my purpose was to begin with.
  1. Open the PNG file in Photoshop.
  2. Go to Window -> Actions.
  3. Click on the ‘Create New Action’ icon (found next to the trashcan icon). Give it any name and function key you want. It’s now recording your actions.
  4. Go to File -> Save for Web. Choose whatever preset you want. Save the file.
The above action can be used in the future by activating the function key you defined. The image you were working on will be saved as a JPEG with the preset you chose, into the folder you chose. Saves a few clicks. :P But we’re not done with the batch conversion yet.
  1. Go to File -> Automate -> Batch.
  2. Choose your Action, the one that you saved previously.
  3. Choose the source folder and the destination folder. Optionally set a naming scheme for all your batch files.
  4. Wokay. You are now done. :D
All this could have been avoided if Apple had a bloody option to save the screenshots you take on an iPod Touch as JPEG instead of ridiculously sized PNG.

Tags: ,

Trackback from your site.

Santosh

Gamer, Audiophile, Avid Blogger and yes, a Student too. Pakka Bangalorean!

Comments (24)

Sathya

Photoshop CS2 ? Wouldn’t IrfanView would be a better (read: free, lighter on resources, smaller filesize) choice?

Santosh

Well I like Photoshop because it’s powerful. Never really cared about the “lighter on resources” part because of the raw power in Photoshop. :P

Sathya

Well – Photoshop is overkill. Atleast for me. You, Sir, on the other hand, are a pro :P

(PS: Install Subscribe to comments plugin, puhhhleeeeze!)

chi

Thanks, saved me tons of time for my fansite. VLC saves high quality to PNG, their JPG is poor. So I have to save in PNG, convert in Photoshop, then save as JPG.

ruchiccio

excellent and clear tutorial. thank you.

MirceaKitsune

Thank you for this very useful info! It has helped a lot :D

Rachel

This was excellent. Thanks for the clear directions.

Adelaide SEO

Yep great tutorial – now I know how to batch my 200 images from a ridiculous 500k png to <100k jpg's I just have to learn how to change the extension in a batch job in the mysql database from filename.png to filename.jpg? any help would be appreciated! thanks Steve

Santosh

A crude way would be to search for .PNG and replace it with .JPG. (Find and replace.) I’m not a DBMS expert, so please do have a backup first! :)

naveen rathore

canyou send the video related to this

Moons

Much appreciated.

Aditi Kapoor

I have around 500 hundred PNG small images and I would like to convert all of them into JPG with a black background. so can you pls give me any suggestion on that

Santosh

Fire up Photoshop.

File -> Scripts -> Image Processor.

Select the folder, destination, and check the “save as JPEG” option, enter a number from 1 to 10 for quality, and RUN it.

dia tsung

thank you for your post, which i think is likely to be the solution to my current problem, which is that images in my post have been doing weird things like disappearing and changing size and acquiring text overlaps. being a rank beginner at all this, i had to start ‘policing’ my blog from beginning to end every day and laboriously correcting the anomalies. anyone familiar with wordpress would know what a headache this is, because anything edited in wordpress reappears in its own preferred configuration, which may not be at all how it was intended, and there is no way to predict how it will decide to appear. i had no idea what was causing the image disappearances etc to happen, until today, when i noticed that all the problem images were all pngs. this occasioned my search for a solution, and then i found your encouraging post! i fervently hope that jpgs will not behave in the same capricious and unpredictable way that pngs do.
    thank you again.

dia tsung

Thank you thank you!
    I will have to get very busy because I have a whole slew of pictures!

Luneya

So many years and Photoshop versions later and there is STILL a need for this article!

I was refusing to convert the files via online converters, especially because I use PS all the time and knew there had to be a way to it with this program.

So I googled a bit untill I came across this article and you saved my say!

Thank you so very much!!

theinkbrain

I discovered that Automator in Mac does it in a flash!

Gerry

Thanks for this article which is still relevant in 2012. I tried IrfanView (my program of choice) to batch convert and re-size which works fine except it creates larger file sizes that when I converted via PS which were around 1/5 the size.

BazR

Wendy

You have saved me from something incredibly painful. Thanks.

CeCe

THANK YOU so SO much for this very helpful article. I have a few thousand screenshots I took on my iPhone/iPad, not realizing the default format would totally kill my Photobucket storage limit. The idea of doing a manual ‘save as’ conversion in PS wasn’t ideal due to the time consuming nature of doing individual pics, and I wasn’t keen on getting some home-brewed shareware conversion tool that could possibly jack my computer up. Since I’ve already paid for my PS licenses, I might as well make good use of them. Cheers! :)

Duncan

Great, simple instructions… Good work, Thanks!

Vitaliy Kolos

Thanks for the freshen-up. I knew about this option back in the day but could not recall it for the life of me. So you made my day today. Also, would you be interested in an exclusive video that shows how to do what you described in black and white?