web analytics

Meet Mr. H G Srinivasa Prasad

Meet H G Srinivasa Prasad, a retired employee of the Reserve Bank of India who has been teaching Kannada to adult non-Kannadigas for the last 27 years.

‘KUDI, KODI’ CONFUSION

Prasad has taught at medical and nursing colleges. “I usually ask everyone why they joined the class to learn Kannada and the most interesting answer came from a nursing student from Kerala.

The doctor had asked her to collect the urine sample from a patient but she ended up asking the patient to drink it! That is because ‘kudi’ (which means ‘to drink’) sounds very similar to ‘kodi’ (which means ‘to give’). Therefore, she decided to learn the language rather than scare her patients,” he recollected.

SIMPLE MANTRA
So, what makes him popular? “Keep it simple and they will fall in love with the language,” is his mantra.

In the last 28 years, Srinivas has trained more than 5,000 people to talk and understand basic Kannada, including Wipro chief Azim Premji’s wife Yasmeen Premji, and many foreign nationals.

Tags: ,

Trackback from your site.

Santosh

Gamer, Audiophile, Avid Blogger and yes, a Student too. Pakka Bangalorean!

Comments (8)

Gerry

I am writing this mail after reading the article on our Most Respected and Loved Kannada Sir, Mr., Prasad.

I have been fortunate enough to be a student of Sir. And I must tell you that he made learning Kannada the most beautiful part of our week… He was patient with us, and believe me, teaching to a bunch of grownups is the most challenging assignment one can have… and he simply loved it. He loved it because, he genuinely loves the language and most importantly, he believes that thru learning and speaking Kannada, we can have a better society – a more cohesive and collaborative society.

His passion to spread the knowledge of Kannada is immense and people like him make us (outsiders) feel at home in Bangalore and Karnataka. Sir and everything around him welcomes us to Karnataka. And I believe that he is a great brand ambassador to Karnataka.

As he said in our last class earlier this week, language means “Coming Together” and I am convinced that if we have to portray a combined / unified Kannada, learning Kannada is the start… the most beautiful start to being associated with Karnataka.

His greatful 'Spanish' student 2014

I have been learning multiple languages all of my life. Prasad-sir has an exceptional methodology that facilitates rapid acquisition. He has countless anecdotes that encourage one to attend and remember. It is obvious that his introductory course structure has been refined through many years of experience, yet maintain a timeless freshness. The 22 lesson course is challenging enough to make practical progress, yet divided into clear manageable chucks in order to digest grammar properly. Most importantly it deals with topics that are vital to a newcomer in Bangalore, so they allow for immediate immersion in the local environment. Read this lovely article about him: http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/mp/2002/03/11/stories/2002031100240200.htm

R. Venkatraman

LEARNING MADE SIMPLE AND LOVABLE……!

I, a PhD student at IISc, was one of the beneficiaries of Prasad sir’s wonderful Kannada classes. His classes were full of fun and had a great experience while learning Kannada from him. He made it look so simple and enjoyable. Starting from absolute zero it was a quantum jump after attending his classes. I was able to converse in simple Kannada. Learning the local language made me feel more comfortable wherever I go in the city. A beautiful language which every Indian must learn to feel the close connection between their mother tongue and Kannada. In fact even foreigners who attended the classes were able to feel a connect with the language.

Balasubramanian Sambasivam

A fantastic trainer

I got an opportunity to train in Kannada with Prasad sir when classes were conducted at IISc by the Kannada Sangha. As an absolute novice in Kannada I thought its going to be an uphill task to learn the language. As a Phd student I thought I cannot spend so much time and effort in learning the language. But it turned out to be exactly opposite when the classes went on. Prasad sir made learning Kannada look pretty simple. His classes and his materials were so good that I hardly made any conscious effort for learning Kannada. At the end of the 20 odd classes I was able to converse in Kannada and made me feel more confidant in strolling through the Thottagala nagara (Garden city – Bangalore). And of course the happiness of learning such a beautiful language stays with me. Thanks to Prasad sir for the wonderful Kannada classes.

Suseela Budi

Bhashe bere bere adre bhavam vande

I am a 2nd year M.Tech student in DESE at Indian Institue of Sciences. I am going to work in Bangalore after my Masters. I wanted to try out kannada, so I started attending kannada classes by H G Srinivas Prasad sir in IISc. Then I realised that I would have missed alot, if I would not have go to that class. The class is in the evening. Usually because of day long work, we will be tired. That time listening to a class is very difficult. But this class is refreshment to the brain. After the class we can go back to lab and work also. The credit goes to Prasad sir. After listening to his classes, my interest towards kannada increased by ten folds. It is his greatness to make it simple and elegant. He always says learn kannada to become one among the society. It is really a good push towards learning a language. Now I am able to talk partially. I am sure that I will speak fluently by end of the session.

Thumba santosha.
    bahala DhanyavadagaLu prasad sir.

Priya

I am a PhD student at IISc. I am presently attending Kannada classes conducted by Prasad Sir. He is a wonderful person besides being a humble human being. The best part is that he makes you comfortable in the class. Even if you miss some classes, he encourages you. No matter, what is mother tongue, you will find some words of your language in Kannada too. He keeps relating with all the languages. You don’t feel like a foreign land or foreign language. He tries his best to involve all of us in the class. Because of him, I have got a good start in Kannada and I am very hopeful that I will become fluent in future.

Keep it up Sir. You are a medium for people like me to connect to the Kannadigas.

Nandkishore

Can you pass on SG Srinivas ji’s phone number wish to learn Kannada if he agrees to teach.
    Regards

Gopa

I am the spouse of a faculty member of IISc. After we moved to Bangalore, I felt I should learn Kannada and I was suggested to attend Prasad Sir’s class. I must admit that I was somewhat hesitant initially whether I would be able to learn this language which was completely new to me at that stage. However, from the very first class of Prasad Sir, I felt I can learn Kannada and started attending classes regularly. His enthusiasm and passionate way of teaching together with very informative course materials made classes very enjoyable.
    After attending around 20 classes, I am now able to converse in Kannada. Thank you very much, Prasad Sir.